We were informed this week that we will be using the Umbwe route for the climb. We had been told we'd have some choice in the matter, but one of the climbers has decided that we will take this route. He is Macon Dunnegan who has written a book which I need to get, Sons of Kilimanjaro; he has also climbed the Kili 17 or more times. He says this route is no more difficult that any other (and is shorter). However, read about it, such as http://www.ultimatekilimanjaro.com/umbwe_route.htm or
http://www.africatravelresource.com/T1/africa/tanzania/ne/kili/u/0/intro/ or
http://www.climbmountkilimanjaro.com/the-routes-up-kilimanjaro/the-umbwe-route-5-6-days/index.html
One account shows an estimated 26 out of 29 hours spent hiking up between 18000 feet and the top and then down 14 miles. Our account (with Zara tours) shortens this to 24 hours out of 27. Either way, I don't see how anyone does this.
Note that this is NOT the route that the website promised when I signed up for this adventure. I doubt I would have signed up for it! Anyhow, I am considering demanding my deposit back and finding another outfit to climb with. Or abandoning the idea altogether.
This week included a new mountain trail, up Jones Creek to Church's Pond. It is only 6.2 miles total, but one very experienced and fit hiker friend said it is the hardest trail she has ever done, period. Ouch.
This week:
June 14: Pilates and golf
June 15: 6.3 miles, Brown's Creek loop. 2 hours 35 minnutes
June 16: About 6 miles up Brown's Creek from Pauly's house to top of Forest Service Road. 2 hours 20 minutes
June 17: 6.5 miles on streets
June 18: Golf
June 19: 4.5 miles on streets
June 20: 6.2 miles, Jones Creek to Church's Pond. 4 hours (included lunch stop)
Total mileage for the week: 29.5
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment