This camp was the highest at just under 15000 feet, and I could tell it! We had some lunch and they told us to go get some sleep. I didn't think I would be able to sleep for all the noise, but I dropped off really quickly and slept for an hour. Then we sorted through all our stuff and got packed up to go to the top later that night. We had an early dinner at 5 (a mix of spaghetti and potatoes; food has kind of degenerated), and Johnny told us that instead of leaving at 11:30 as the itinerary called for, we would be awakened at 10:30 because he was worried about Jesse. He said we would be going really, really slowly and we would all need to stick together. Off we went to try to sleep, although an afternoon nap (something I never, ever do) made sleeping difficult. So I lay awake worrying. The second of the three scariest things was facing us, and I just kept thinking, OK, you just have to do what all the rest of them do, get up, get dressed, get your headlamp on and stumble on up the mountain. Left to my own devices I would have stayed in that cozy tent and skipped the whole summit deal!!
Pics: (1) En route to Barafu Camp (2) Meeting up with friends at Barafu Camp (3) Barafu Camp

No comments:
Post a Comment