I feel like this last week had some breakthroughs. On Monday I went to Lady Footlocker, where a couple of years back I purchased some inserts for my sneakers. They have an incredible deal, where they will replace the inserts with brand new ones at no charge if you bring them in with your receipt. I have done this several times now, and with moving the inserts from sneakers to boots, one got cracked so I wanted to replace them. I took the new ones to the Foot N Shoe store I mentioned last time, to be ground down in one spot to fit my foot. I had no trouble getting them into sneakers, but getting them into the narrower boots was a struggle. So I bought a second pair and had them ground down and then trimmed them to fit into the boots better. And I now have a dedicated pair for the boots and another for the sneakers. Once I get them all settled and get some miles on them I am hopeful I won't develop any more blisters.
I also was informed by Ryan at the Foot N Shoe store that the sneakers I have been pounding the pavement in are all wrong for me (I sure know that after 5-6 miles in them my feet are sore -- not blistered, but all the muscles ache). So I got two new pairs of sneakers as well, with more structure to them.
I am still alternating between sneakers and boots for walking (I have retired the trail shoes). I am also mostly still walking on streets rather than mountain trails as the weather persists in being cool and wet. I have also developed a method for increasing my mileage, which feels a bit like cheating: I walk twice in the same day, once in boots, and later in sneakers, with a rest in between. By rest I mean grocery shopping, vacuuming, yard work, run other errands etc. I don't take a nap.
I guess I am getting stronger as I can walk almost every day now, and did a couple long days back to back this past week. I am still afraid I won't be ready in time (if ever!). I am looking forward to getting off the streets and getting onto trails.
This week:
May 24: 5.2 miles at 6000 feet
May 25: Pilates
May 26: 5.2 miles in AM, 5.2 miles in PM, all at 6000 feet
May 27: 8 miles on old Geiger Grade, 4700-6300 feet
May 28: Nothing
May 29: 4.5 miles in AM, 5.2 miles in PM, all at 6000 feet
May 30: 6.2 miles at 6000 feet
Total for Week 11: 39.5 miles
Pictures: (1) The old Geiger Grade toll road, looking back toward Mt Rose (2) Lunch spot at the top of Geiger Grade, with wild horses grazing nearby (3) My front yard on May 28

No comments:
Post a Comment